Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How To Be Serious

So since I've taken up studying comedy and doing improv every day (it feels like, not true. But then again isn't everything improv? Right now me typing these words is in fact improvisational. I feel like I am taking you-the reader, along for a journey of what the hell will she say next... you don't know and it scares you...Improv!), I feel that I don't do enough genuinely serious tasks in my life.

So last week I decided to see a serious documentary in the Hot Docs Film Festival, entitled  You've Been Trumped.
Ironically the movie's title kept confusing my friend and I who went to see it. Every time the title was spoken to us we kept thinking we in fact had been fooled and the show was sold out (it happened three times. It's a confusing title!).

Anyways, the movie (talkie) was about the bully that it Donald Trump. Mr. Trump wants to and is currently building a giant golf course on one of the world's last dune eco-systems. Also people live there. People full out live there and Trump's all, "The houses on this property are disgusting slums, these people are a shame to Scotland".
Dickish, yes, but I feel that the people of this land should not take his slander too personally; because whether you are an eighty-three year old Scottish farmer or President of the United States, Trump will speak this way to you. Therefore one does not have to feel it is a personal attack (unless he destroys your house and the land you live on, then I guess take it personally).

The worst part of the film is how unapologetic Trump is in his actions towards the townspeople. He even had a television special on GolfTV, proudly voicing his opinions on how ugly one man's home was and that the parking lot of his giant hotel is a much better option.

After all this seriousness I think I'm going to write a sketch about this movie. It has funny potential. Hence why I can't be serious longer than ninety minutes. But I'm trying, I'm trying.

Thanks for reading!
It's a very serious trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment