Saturday, February 12, 2011

How To Coat Check

Hey all.
So tonight I am doing a job that I haven't done since I was seventeen. I am coat checking. I'm a little depressed considering it's been five years and you'd think I'd have a better way of making money by now, but I definitely do not.

Now in the past I found this job not only very boring but strangely stressful. The restaurant that I coat check at does not have a method of doing it. It is purely, "Here's tickets, I don't think they all match. Figure it out." So for the first half hour you're there trying to see if numbers match, this is where the boredom sets in.
However, as you're trying to do an amazing organizing job of the tickets, patrons start to come in- this is where the stress sets in.
Because you are the first person they see in this restaurant, the people automatically think you're the hostess and that you have the power to seat them and or know why things are taking so long. They like to get angry with you and then be super sweet to whoever is managing that night (I assume the anger does carry over to the servers. Side Note: Um why do people torture their waiting staff? Like if you're at a restaurant just be patient, your food is being cooked and served to you. It's a pretty amazing thing.)
They also like to give you drink orders. The first time I coat checked I was sixteen, definitely did not have my smart serve and did not know the names of drinks. A man came up to me and asked if I could get him a Glenlivet. By the time I got up to the bar I was like, "Ahhh, this guy wants a Jerry Level I think." Then the bartender looked and me and was like, 'No, he definitely does not."
I guess I'm just not restaurant folk because I get so tired too easily and I show it. Near the end of my coat checking stint, I would have more than one person come up to me and ask if I was alright. I wasn't.

But coat checking is definitely not always a bad thing. Sometimes you make a unnecessary amount of cash. One night I was coat checking and the people at the table were super drunk and one of the guys comes up to me and hands me a twenty explaining it's for the whole table. Then a second guy from the party comes up to me and hands me a twenty saying it's for the whole table. Then a third guy, same party, hands me forty dollars and says thanks for my trouble. That was a magic night.
Sadly, the same evening a sixty-year old man tried to kiss me on the mouth, but you know you take the good with the bad.

So maybe I'm not a restaurant person, but I guess I'll try tonight. Wish me luck.

Thanks for reading!

I've checked all of these

No comments:

Post a Comment