Friday, March 4, 2011

How To Get Through Theatre School

Hey all. So as many of you know I went to theatre school. It was a fascinating, strange, uncomfortable, life-changing, exhausting, friendship-making, scary, boring, funny, sad, ridiculous, smart, silly, fantastic experience.
While I was riding the streetcar today, a theatre school memory popped up in my head that I could not get out, so it inspired this post.
I will now list The Top Five Moments of Theatre School, in no particular order.

1. In the last choir class of second year, our teacher thought it would be fun to have someone lie on the floor while we all gathered around her and said, "Light as a feather stiff as a board." We tried really hard to make this person levitate, but after ten minutes it didn't work. It also didn't help that we were all hysterically laughing, but I'd say we got a good five six minutes of seriously trying to make this person float. (Side Note: This is the memory!)

2. The entire Alexandria Project rehearsal (yeah I know that's not it's real name but I refuse to call it anything else). I would not characterize this as a good time in my life (or my classmates if I should be so bold) but because of the intense and exhausting rehearsals we would laugh so hard sometimes it would last for days. Most of the laughing was incredibly inappropriate but it really was more of a tension release.
An example of how inappropriate some of the laughter was, once I was remebering an earlier laugh attack (because it attacked you there's no other way to put it) while one of the directors was comparing a scene we were doing to the devestation in Haiti. Needless to say people thought I thought the earthquake in Haiti was a joke, that was fun day.

3. I'm just going to put it out there, Ker Wells. He knew I loved him, my entire class knew I loved him and now my reading public will know. This man made getting through tough days at school bearable. He was fit and made us work out all the time, the endorphins were flying. I've also made a vow that if I ever were to win an award for acting I would have to thank him because he is the sole reason I made it through all three years. He was my carrot at the end of a stick (that sounds gross, but think of it metaphorically).

4. The ladies of the class by the third year became very obsessed with tea. I used it as a way to get through boring rehearsals or classes. During our breaks we would discuss which tea we would buy and whether we should get a tiger brownie, later replaced by a cream cheese brownie (both were equally disgusting and delicious). Our tea loving became so great that eventually someone just brought a kettle and we kept tea in our lockers.

5. Our class had it's own language. The plays that we had performed had Arabic, Farsi, and Egyptian influences, which meant we learned a little bit of each language. Most of what we took away in the end I'm pretty sure has no resemblence to any of these languages but here's a little Humber Class 2010 vocabulary lesson:
Wahanab- What's going on? Or any general question/wanting to show affection to someone.
Soh Uh- The Soh Uh is to be dragged out and then followed with "Sooooohhhhh Uhhhh what's happening?" (shout out to Mirian K)
Yarub- A name used in one of the plays, said whenever, where ever as Anglicized/Persianafied as possible.

Hope you enjoyed a little taste of theatre school. Anyone choosing theatre as their path will have these little quirks to look forward to.
If I were to compare theatre school to anything it would be like one long crazy fever dream that I wouldn't change for anything.

Thanks for reading!

Ahh memories

No comments:

Post a Comment