Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How To Do An Improv Scene

Hello.
As some of you may know I've been taking classes at The Second City for improv. My new session started a couple of weeks ago and I am not loving it.  This not loving it sucks because usually I’m all about my acting classes. I even look forward to them, but this session for some reason, my class has decided to band together and at some point in every scene a guy calls a girl a whore, bitch or slut.

Now, I don’t think I’m a prude and everyone knows that comedy is not politically correct and I am not asking it to be; but this is not cool and worst of all it’s not funny. What I am asking of the scenes is humour. Until one of the guys in my class stands up and does a scene where I am legitimately laughing because of the cleverness of what is being said and not because of how horribly uncomfortable I am, they are not allowed to go to the “whore” place for a laugh. And why is calling a girl a bitch, whore, etc. a life preserver for more than one guy in my class? All I can say is being someone who has been doing improv for a few years now, I have never been in the middle of a scene and out of nowhere called a guy a dick, whore, bastard (which is why I assume the guys think using these words are funny because it has nothing to do with the scene).

I know I’m being preachy but I don’t think it’s too much to ask. I need to know am I being a prude or should I say something next week when someone calls a girl a whore? (and believe me it will happen)
You see my main issue is the boys never refer to any of the other boys in the scenes as these words. I guess it should be either everyone’s being called bitches or no one. 

But in the end just do a scene that’s funny and entertains the audience. Damn pricks.


                             SIDE NOTE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS POST:
Yay! I understand why you're in Instyle now!
A few months ago I wrote a post wondering about the mystery of Michael Sheen. In the post I also wondered why Emmy Rossum was always in magazines being known as an actor. Well I wonder no more. Emmy's in a new Showtime show called Shamelss and she's acting and everything. I can now cross that off the list of "huh?". However, Michael I am still waiting to know what's the what, so c'mon let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment