Monday, February 21, 2011

How To Say I Told You So!

So tonight I wnet to go see the new French-Canadian movie Incendies. I did not want to see this movie. I wanted to see Biutiful with Javier Bardem.

Why I Didn't Want To See Incendies:
-I had seen the play version called Scorched. I did enjoy the play but the only thing that keeps you connected to the story is the unfolding mystery of what is going on. If you know the twist there's really no need to experience the story again.
-It's very, very tragic.
-It did not star Javier Bardem.

Why I Did See Incendies:
-Mina (my frousin who I went with) did not want to see Biutiful because she heard it was sad for the sake of being sad. I then laughed and said, "Oh you wanna see something sad for the sake of sad!! Fine let's see Incendies. I will gladly go to proove you good and wrong."
-It was directed by the guy who did Polytechnique, which was wonderful and amazing.
-You can't really go wrong with French-Canadian movies, they are almost always the best movies I have ever seen (Maelstrom, The Barbarian Invasions, The Decline of the American Empire, etc).

Now Mina will say that she heard Biutiful was mellow-dramatic, but ironically Incendies is sooooooooo dramatic it makes you want to jump out a window. Near the end I wanted to walk out because I knew what was going to happen and I physically could not take it anymore. Plus whoever wrote that review of Biutiful is jealous, because Spanish movies rock. Always. On top of rocking, it was filmed in Barcelona. Double rock.

Why I Stayed:
-So at the end of the film I could turn to Mina and say, "HA!"
-I didn't pay money for it so at least I could get my free movie's worth.
-It's not such a bad movie. It has pretty scenes and good acting, so it doesn't deserve a walk-out.

Why I Should Have Walked Out:
-It was so long.
-The ending was so drawn out it made me want to throw something at the screen.
-If I walked out I would have had to shout out the twist to the audience as I was leaving, and I think that would have just bummed everyone out.

As the film ended I turned to Mina and she said, "Why did you say you wanted to see this?" and I thought, good she learned her lesson. So it was sort of worth it. And when I win the Oscar pool the two of us have had going on for five years I will laugh and laugh and force her to see a movie that stars Ashton Kutcher. It will not be enjoyable for either of us but at least I will have made a point!

What would you rather have seen?
This

Or this?

No comments:

Post a Comment