Saturday, March 19, 2011

How To Take A Risk

Tonight I played the board game Risk with a couple of friends. It was very
fun/insensitive/confusing/challenging/lesson-learning.

1) It was fun because at the beginning you get to pick whatever country you want to rule. I started with African and South American countries (because they have such good track records in real life right?). I also like choosing countries with nice weather. When I was forced to choose the Northern Territories I was as upset as I was imaginarily cold.
It also is fun because you can be outrageously politically inccorect and it's all good. In fact, the board game encourages it by making the continents Africa, South America and Australia worth the least amount of points.

2) It was insensitive considering that a war actually started today.
Plus I had Egypt and Japan and whenever people tried to conquer those countries I would say, "Haven't they been through enough?". My opponent didn't laugh and then took Egypt making me lose the entire continental Africa. All I know is comedy is tragedy plus time, so give it ten to twenty years and that line's a real winner!

3) It was challenging because the rules make no sense. If I didn't have two people hold my hand through every move I made I would have never been able to conquer South America and Africa (and then subsequently, lose it).

4) It was lesson-learning (yes, this is a verb to me) because it taught me not to be greedy. As soon as I would get a lot of soldiers in my dominions, I would try to take every other country around me. However taking more means less security and losing all your countries by the time it is your turn again. Just like in real life greed, in the end, gets you no where (except being temporarily rich, which totally rocks!!).
I also learned not to be cocky. Just like Wii, the Risk board knows when your bragging, so it makes you roll low numbers (it's a scientific fact, always be gracious when playing a game. The game always knows. It always knows! Haunting).
I also learned not to make an alliance with Stella (dammit Stella!).

So like in life and the board game; it may be foolish to take a risk, but then the game doesn't continue so you should probably just battle Irkutsk becasuse then no one gets Asia. God.
Ok not as succinct as I wanted it but you get the picture.

Thanks for reading!
In Risk, being sent to Siberia is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment