Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How To Impress People

Hi all.
So today I was making dinner for the kid I take care of and his two friends (who are twins, it's weird). I usually really like making dinner because I feel very confident and creative in the kitchen.

Today, I accidentally forgot to pick up the store-bought garlic bread for the kiddies, so I decided to make it myself. I roasted the garlic in the oven, buttered the bread, then spread the softened garlic on the bread, sprinkled cheese and salt and put it in the oven for a couple of minutes. As it was all being prepared, in my mind I was all like, oh I'm so inventive, the kids will be surprised and delighted. Then I served the meal.
The kids looked at the bread and were like,
"You put cheese on it?"
And I'm like, "Yeah, that's garlic bread."
And they're like, "Cheese changes the whole taste of it."
And I'm like, "No it makes the taste of it."
Then one kid said, "I don't eat regular bread just garlic bread."
And I said, "This is garlic bread!"
And then he says, "No, store bought only."

This was all very upsetting to me. I mean I took time and effort into making this bread (which was left uneaten) and no one cared. I need to know, what does it take to impress these people? Blood, sweat and tears literally! It also makes me question my cooking abilities. The last three meals I cooked at the kid's house were not well received.

The reviews were as followed:
Pasta and bolognese sauce- "Um I just want butter on my pasta", "Me too", and "It would be good if it didn't have tomatoes or meat in it".
Pizza with homemade sauce and dough- "Um no offence, but you're pizza was disgusting and no one ate it".

But at the same time I can't take it too personally, because for dessert they had cotton candy ice cream which actually tastes what it would be like to be poisoned. Also one of the kids put so much salt on his pasta that it burned your tongue, but he ate it up.

I guess the lesson here is don't try. Next meal I'll make them will be a baguette cut open with butter and salt dumped on it. It's like being in a gourmet restaurant!

Thanks for reading!

I bet they'd eat this

No comments:

Post a Comment